Dr. Michael Tims has had broad experience in the herbal supplement industry as a managing partner in a Natural Food Store, as a clinical herbalist, and as an academic researcher focused on the chemical ecology of endangered medicinal plant species. Dr. Tims also collaborated with federal regulators to provide medicinal plant toxicity assessments. He co-developed HerbMed, a web-based herbal database providing access to scientific data on the use and safety of herbal medicine, and he completed an NIH/NIST postdoctoral fellowship developing Botanical Standard Reference Materials.
He continues to mentor researchers at MUIH, and was awarded the 2017 MUIH Research and Scholarship Award. In 2016 he was awarded an Emerson Ecologics Grant for research proposal, Expanding MUIH Herbal Dispensary Services to Support GMP Education of New Herbalists and Smaller Herbal Manufacturers. He is directs the Botanical Pharmacognosy Laboratory and the M.S. program in Herbal Product Design and Manufacture at MUIH. His research interests are listed below:
- Rationalized product development steps based on understanding the chemical ecology of medicinal plants, processing requirements, and identification of clinically relevant compounds.
- Characterized plant extractives based on matrix effects, solubility, and extract concentration.
- Developing cGMP (Current Good Manufacturing Practice) compliance methods for small producers
- Use of adaptogens and trophorestoratives for brain health
- Use of adaptogens and trophorestoratives to help build constitutional resilience in humans.
- Combining cannabis products and traditional herbals for pain relief
- Understanding the role plant root secondary metabolites play in the rhizosphere ecology.
- Simultaneously, how the rhizosphere influences the makeup of the medicinally active chemical constituents in plants.
Dr. Tims received his BA in English/Writing from George Mason University and his Ph.D. in the Chemical Ecology of Medicinal Plants from the University of Maryland, College Park.
A copy of his Resume MTims.